Monday, November 28, 2016

Article: Fidel Castro: Atheist Theologian of Liberation, Practitioner of Radical Democracy | OpEdNews

Article: Fidel Castro: Atheist Theologian of Liberation, Practitioner of Radical Democracy | OpEdNews

"I don't understand why Fidel doesn't allow free elections in Cuba. After all, he'd win hands down every time."
I remember how astonished I was when the young spokesperson at the U.S. I ntersection in Havana pronounced those words about 20 years ago. But I had heard her correctly. Despite being a U.S. diplomat, she was admitting that Fidel Castro was extremely popular with Cubans. Her concession contradicted the official U.S. position repeated incessantly since 1959 -- and regurgitated mindlessly by U.S. commentators last weekend on the announcement of the comandante's passing.
The young diplomat's recognition of Fidel's popularity was confirmed for me again and again as I visited Cuba repeatedly since 1997. That was the year of my first trip there with the Greater Cincinnati Council of World Affairs. Two years later, I and a colleague led a group of Berea College students to the island for a month-long January Short Term study of the African Diaspora in Cuba. Subsequently, while teaching in a Latin American Studies program sponsored by the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities, I visited the island perhaps eight times as the term-abroad program for U.S. students brought them there each fall and spring. Then three years ago, I returned to Cuba to teach a Berea College summer term there. I'll return with a similar program next May.